How to Prepare for your Move
Moving can be one of the most stressful events in your life. This is especially true for the preparation period. According to some surveys, moving is the third most stressful activity in our lives right after death and divorce. Fortunately, this process doesn’t have to be so stressful, and Serenity Moving Services is a moving company which wants to help you remove as much of the stress as possible. Preparing yourself and your family for the move using the following shortlist of tips can help make the preparation and moving process less stressful.
- Keep in mind packing for a move is a very time-consuming process, mostly because you need to organize every room in your home. Many people are unaware of just how much time it can actually take to organize and pack for a move. That’s why it’s good to start this process at least two weeks in advance of your anticipated move date.
- Creating a checklist is a good idea. This list should contain all the things you need to do before the actual move. In this way you will stay focused on the important things.
- Keep a special box or container to store all important documents relating to the move and documents provide to you by the moving company.
- Remember moving to another place provides a great opportunity to declutter and eliminate all those things which just sit around and collect dust. Donating old furniture or clothes to a charity will also provide you with a tax write-off.
- Before you move into your new home, you should create a plan of where will all the things should go in your new home. Create a detailed plan and give copies to the moving company. In this way the movers will know where to place the boxes and the furniture in your new home.
- Be sure to buy suitable packing boxes, in several dimensions, to make your packing go smoothly.
- Instead of manually taping the boxes, use a tape gun. You can purchase one at almost any hardware or variety type store for a minimal price. This will speed up this time consuming process.
- Make a special file or folder to keep all of your important documents, ie. bills and other documents of value, and keep these with you. Do not have the movers put this on the moving truck, instead you transport it yourself to your new home. .
- Inform all local utilities and post office of your upcoming move to alleviate any disruption in service. Use the below link for the post office change form. USPS Change of Address
- If you live in a very busy apartment building, it is a good idea to park your car in front of your apartment if possible. In this way you will accelerate and ease the moving process to allow for more accessibility to your apartment by the movers.